“The Infinite Regress Argument beings with the observation that what makes a belief justified, at least in the typical case, are other beliefs or reasons.” (49)
This means that I can have a well founded belief if I have other beliefs or reasons to justify that belief.
Let’s go back to my hospital example. Based on the Infinite Regress Arguments my belief that I was going to die was justified. This is, of course, if I believe that infinite chains of reasons are possible.
The Infinite Regress Argument (51)
1-1. Either there are justified basic beliefs or each justified belief has an evidential chain that either
(a) terminates in an unjustified belief
(b) is an infinite regress of beliefs
(c )in circular
1-2. But beliefs based on unjustified beliefs are not themselves justified, so no justified belief could have
an evidential chain that terminates in an unjustified belief (that is not (a) ).
1-3 No person could have an infinite series of beliefs, so no justified belief could have an evidential chain
that is an infinite regress of beliefs (that is, not (b) ).
1-4 No Belief could be justified by itself, so no justified belief could have an evidential chain that is
circular (that is, not (c )).
_________________________________________________________________________
1-5 There are justified basic beliefs (1-1)-(1-5)
My belief that I was going to die is (1-3) and (1-4). My justified belief has an evidential chain that terminates in an unjustified belief. I believed I was going to die because I was in terrible pain, then what? How can I justify the rest after that? I definitely don’t have an infinite series of beliefs and my belief is not justified by itself.
No comments:
Post a Comment